Cowichan Gold Western Red Cedar is manufactured to the highest production standard in the industry by Terminal Forest Products, a family-owned and operated company founded in 1962. Terminal has built an enviable reputation throughout the sawmill industry as a leader in quality and consistency. Cowichan Gold V Joint looks stunning indoors too, creating a feeling of warmth and luxury on accent walls or feature ceilings. Its excellent dimensional stability makes it perfect for high moisture areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, conservatories, swimming pools, and saunas.
- Size: 18x137mm.
- Grade: Clear Heart Vertical Grain.
- Profile: Tongue & Groove connection with a beveled edge to create a v-shaped shadow line.
- Installation: Vertical or horizontal.
- Surface texture: SAWTEX™ fine sawn finish on the face (for optimal coating performance), smooth finish on the rear.
- Moisture content: Kiln dried at source to 12–15%.
- Colour: Palette of rich, warm wood tones, which vary from light amber to dark reddish-brown.
- Vertical grain (VG): Vertical grain wood has superior properties to flat grain. It has better dimensional stability, better resistance to UV degradation, very low surface cracking and checking, and better finish absorption and retention qualities.
- Durability: When properly finished and maintained, Western Red Cedar will deliver decades of trouble-free service. It has a decay resistance of durability class 2 (durable) according to the EN 113 standard.
- Stability: Western Red Cedar has excellent dimensional stability because of its low wood density and shrinkage factor. Shrinkage and swelling are minimal, displaying only small movements with changes in humidity.
- Density: The wood of Western Red Cedar is light, weighing 330 to 340 kg/m3 when kiln-dried (12-15% moisture content).
- Thermal properties: Wood generally is an excellent thermal insulator, but Western Red Cedar has a particularly good insulation value because of its low wood density. Its coefficient of thermal conductivity (k) is 0.11 W/m °C at 12% moisture content.
- Acoustic properties: Western Red Cedar is particularly effective when used as interior panelling to dampen vibrations and absorb sound.
- Kiln-dried: Cowichan Gold Western Red Cedar is kiln-dried, giving it many advantages. The process improves dimensional stability, permits the immediate application of a coating, and enables installation with minimal site acclimatisation.
- Grading: Cowichan Gold is virtually knot-free, all heartwood, and all vertical grain, making it the highest quality Western Red Cedar cladding available anywhere.
- Sourcing/certification: Western Red Cedar is sourced from the most sustainably managed forests in the world in British Columbia, Canada, and comes with PEFC certification.
- Coatings: The application of a coating is necessary to protect the wood and optimise its appearance over time. The coating should be applied to all surfaces, including ends, before installation. Choose from our wide range of high-performance wood coating systems.
- Factory coating service: Cowichan Gold V-joint can also be supplied factory coated. Having the coating pre-applied on all sides enables it to be installed at any time of year, regardless of the weather or temperature. Please Contact Us for a quotation.
- Western Red Cedar corner solutions: Select from our l-shaped or solid square, or 2-piece co-ordinating corner trims.
- Cowichan Gold fascia and trim boards: View our range of Cowichan Gold boards. Available in 5 widths, they are perfect for fascias, barge boards, door reveals, window reveals, and many more uses.